Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking "New England Granny"

Hello Stylinistas;....This posts presents fashionable combinations created from my personal wardrobe.  Almost every article was in my closet prior to assembly.

The ensemble to your left is an example of using both a current fashion and a trend when styling an outfit.  There is a varied combination of pattern and texture that provides a modern feel in the unexpected textures on the rose and thistle print velveteen corduroy blazer.  The blazer is matched with a nubby wine and camel plaid "kick" pleated skirt and a ribbon of material with a feel of the corduroy.  Under the jacket is a classic orchid striped shirt in the same tone as the stripes in the skirt and of the jacket.  The outfit is accessorized with the season's favorite ankle boot and bucket bag in complimentary tones.  I cannot wait for cooler weather.  I am especially pleased because each of these garments have been in my closet for a while and the look feels like I just bought a new outfit! A perfect example of shopping in my own closet first to create a fresh new look!




The same example applies to this set of clothing.  The just above the knee camel and charcoal plaid skirt will be worn with the camel ankle boots, a crew neck camel cashmere sweater worn over the silky long sleeved turtleneck top.  The ensemble will be accessorized with the diagonal camel/caramel/grey cashmere scarf, the brown bucket bag and possibly worn with a camel Indianna Jones slouch hat. The only purchases made outside my closet were the textured black tights and the hat, both purchased to accessorize other outfits styled in my preferred points of view.









The same skirt as above now combined with my prized Mui Mui ankle boots and the same textured black tights (90% off original purchase price with discounts and sale!). A vintage Burberry patch elbow double zip cardigan worn over a tomato red cowell neck sweater, a camel purse and a long mixed red gold, silver, and yellow gold chain necklace in an Arabesque design complete the look.












A really old light olive and navy tweed knee length skirt and an equally old deeper olive turtle neck cashmere sweater are paired with an orange, olive, and cream checked scarf and a knee length pair of heeled boots.  The buttons up the side lengthen the leg as well as the narrow brown leather belt. The suede leather coat and Dooney Bourke bucket bag purse shown in the following picture complete the ensemble.  














The Suede leather  shearling jacket compliments the deep green bucket bag with Southwest detail and adds a trendy take on the classic preppy style exemplified by this season's Granny".











This outfit was fun to style, but when observing this picture (camera and mirror are always better than your best friend when it comes to critical analysis of what works for you.) I think I will make a change before I wear it.  

The fun is in the pattern and color choices.  The slightly wide legged trousers are in a grey based Harris plaid and the jacket is in a camel Harris plaid of the same design size.  The scarf is also in Harris plaid in a larger pattern size in Charcoal grey with a deep red stripe.  All are worn with a slate grey v-necked cable sweater worn over a silky turtleneck and a pair of wedge heeled grey suede boots and a deep need handbag.  

I have on a lovely Navajo pendent in silver and black in this picture but I think I will substitute a long rectangular Murano glass pendent in deep red, gold, and silver.  I think that is a better representation of my style and add a little more pop to the ensemble.



These are the same grey trousers teamed with a small houndstooth blazer, a black and white gingham checked shirt under a bright raspberry v necked cashmere sweater.  I have accessorized with a reversible scarf with two toned grey polka dots on one side and a grey and black plaid on the other.  I added a deeper raspberry handbag and a salt and pepper tweed backed charcoal leather gloves.  Because I have so much pattern I will wear only earrings and band style rings.
Here is a closer look at the pattern detail; I quite like it!
What can be more classic than Black Watch plaid?  I have added a little pop to this classic collection by placing the blazer over a hunter green transparent shirt with an embellished collar, and trousers with a slim leg.  I have used the same hunter green bucket bag as above and coordinated with zippered ankle heeled boots with Southwest detail on the toe.  For fun, I used hunter green leather gloves with Black Watch plaid insets.  I also used a two toned collar necklace placed just under the collar and gold over/under earrings to add  updated detail to the accessories.  I can't wait to wear it.

Well, stylinistas, I have had a lot of fun bringing a fresh new feel to several classic items in my closet that have been resting for a few seasons.  Writing this blog has been such a pleasure because I have discovered I have been a bit too limited, too complacent  in my own fashion point of view.  I would not have explored views like Lolita, Boho, and "Granny" without styling possibilities from my own wardrobe.  I love the fact that I have pushed my own boundaries. Happy Styling .........Geneva



















No comments:

Post a Comment